The Cumberland County Affordable Housing Trust Fund offers grants that are available to first time homebuyers in Cumberland County who meet certain criteria. Below are the amounts of the grants and a few basic prerequisites. Please note that homebuyers must still also qualify and be eligible for the first mortgage being obtained in conjunction with this grant.
- Up to $3,000 for borrowers who are between 80% and 100% of the County’s median income.
- Up to $5,000 for borrowers who are below 80% of the County’s median income.
- Applicant must be a first time homebuyer
- Applicant must take a free 8 hour first time homebuyer class
- Applicant must contribute some of their own funds into the transaction…typically a $1 contribution for every $3 of grant funds
- Applicant must meet income limits (see Median Income table below)
- Cumberland County Affordable Housing Trust Fund records a second lien against the property (some first mortgage limitations may apply because of this…contact your mortgage advisor for further information)
- Grant is actually a forgivable loan. 1/60th of the loan will be forgiven each month after settlement. After 60 months, the entire grant is forgiven and the lien will be removed. Note that there may be additional “owner occupancy” rules that apply and may effect the forgivability of the grant.
- Applicant must apply for the grant prior to purchasing the home